The Body as Antenna, Chapter 1
Before I had a name, I was a successful collision.
One cell became two. Two became four. Four became an argument with entropy. Somewhere inside that silent multiplication, a field awakened—not consciousness, not memory, but rhythm. I wasn't thinking. I was tuning.
The womb wasn't darkness. It was an ocean of electrical conversation. My first language was voltage. Cells flashed instructions to one another while chemistry translated the signal into flesh. Bones arrived late. The current came first.
At birth, the room mistook my first cry for breath.
It was calibration.
As I grew, invisible weather followed me. Every heartbeat pushed a magnetic whisper beyond my skin. Every thought became a tiny electrical storm. Scientists measured fragments of it with electrodes, but the instruments always seemed to describe the notes instead of the music.
School taught me I was a machine.
Life kept suggesting otherwise.
Standing beneath stars, inside libraries, running lonely beaches, wandering forgotten archives, I began sensing patterns that refused to stay inside textbooks. The universe seemed less interested in objects than relationships. Gravity bent space. Light behaved as both wave and particle. Even atoms were mostly emptiness held together by rules nobody could touch.
What if a human being wasn't simply matter?
What if matter was the visible consequence of conversation?
The older I became, the less interested I was in certainty. I became a collector of frequencies instead of conclusions. Underground books, strange radio broadcasts, forgotten films, impossible ideas—they were all echoes of the same question.
What keeps the signal alive?
On the day my heart finally stopped, every monitor in the room declared the experiment complete.
But for the briefest instant, I saw myself differently.
Not as a body leaving the field...
...but as a field no longer requiring the body.
The luminous arcs surrounding me folded inward like birds returning home. Every breath I had borrowed was quietly returned. Every heartbeat dissolved into a rhythm older than biology itself.
Perhaps consciousness vanished.
Perhaps it continued.
The instruments could not tell the difference.
They had been measuring my body all along.
I had spent a lifetime searching for the field. In the final second, I realized the field had been searching for me.
Comments